HOW CAN EVERGREEN CHURCH BECOME A SOURCE?
The answer is you, and hundreds more like you, making a few core habits a customary part of your life.
We need habits. Big goals need little habits. Overnight success is a myth!
Called the “Dean of Personal Development,” Earl Nightingale, once maintained that an hour per day of study in your chosen field will put you at the top of your field within 3 years. Within 5 years you’ll be a national authority. In 7 years, you can be one of the best people in the world at what you do.
Successful people set long-term goals, and they know these aims are merely the result of short-term habits that they need to do every day.
JESUS KNEW THE POWER OF HABITS. He practiced at least 15 customs that made him THE SOURCE for all the world for all time.
On the FIRST week of his public life we read about his habit of attending worship. “And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day… (Luke 4:16).
On the LAST week of his public ministry we read about Jesus’ habit of prayer, “And he came out and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives, and the disciples followed him (Luke 22:29). Here are the habits of Jesus:
ALONE HABITS OF JESUS
1. Keep a daily appointment with yourself (Luke 4:1-14)
2. Plan your work and work your plan (Luke 22:10)
3. Combine fitness and prayer (Luke 6:12)
FRIENDSHIP HABITS OF JESUS
4. Plan ahead to attend worship (Luke 4:16-30)
5. Break rules to help people (Luke 6:6-11)
6. Turn friends into family (John 15:15)
WITNESS HABITS OF JESUS
7. Notice people (Luke 27:32)
8. Move toward people who seem different (Luke 9:52)
9. Collect friends who don’t go to church (Matthew 11:16-19)
FRESHNESS HABITS OF JESUS
10. Learn from everyday life (Luke 19:11-27)
11. Think yourself clear (Luke 6:12)
12. Challenge mindsets (Luke 5:34)
MENTORING HABITS OF JESUS
13. Take learners with you (Luke 8:11)
14. Teach by doing (Matthew 11:29-30)
15. Forgive reflexively (Luke 17:4)
To become a SOURCE, all Evergreen Church people need habits like Jesus.
Would you consider making eight habits a part of your life? These are the habits of:
As a bonus, we have included an extra habit to give your life maximum impact: Habits at Home.
Each of the following studies of habits follow the familiar style of the Alpha Bible App and are designed to be used by you with others in your SOAP devotion time.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Listen to Pastor Phil McCallum’s series on the customs of Jesus called “Habit Forming.”
CLICK HERE TO START EXPLORING THE HABITS.