4. HABIT OF DESIRING
Six Good Things That Come To Those Who Ask Too Much
When I was a kid, I wanted a dog. My mother did not. So I had a problem. I wasn't sure if a dog was worthy of prayer. So I turned to Walt Disney. I wished on the first star I saw every night. I said it loud enough so mother could hear, "I wish for a dog!"
My ploy flopped.
So I tried prayer. In just weeks a black cocker spaniel became a part of our family. My mom explained that one verse in her Bible reading changed her thinking:
"'If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!’" (Luke 11:13).
I learned that if my mother would give me a dog, then God the Father had even more to give. God wants me to desire his spiritual gifts.
There are 19 spiritual gifts listed in today's Bible readings. Which gifts do you desire?
WRITE your SOAP journal first, share with friends.
DO YOU KNOW HOW GIFTED YOU ARE?
When you put faith in Jesus, the Holy Spirit gave you gifts. A spiritual gift enables you to do what is humanly impossible to do: to reveal Jesus to others through you.
Your Father wants you to ask him for more gifts of his Spirit. Here are six discoveries we make when we ask for spiritual gifts.
1. YOU ARE GIFTED. Do you think you have no talent? That's incorrect. A spiritual gift isn't about what skills you bring but what God gives you by the Holy Spirit.
Just listen to what Jesus said,
"Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness” (Matthew 10:1.)
“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations..." (Matthew 28:18-19.)
2. YOUR GIFT INDICATES YOUR SERVE. Sometimes we get the wrong notion that what we don't like to do is what God wants us to do. That’s often incorrect. With the spiritual gifts, what we like to do is most likely what God gifted us to do.
3. YOU DISCOVER YOUR GIFTS BY TRYING THEM OUT. To see if you have the gift of teaching, you should teach. To see if you have the gift of helps, you should serve. To discover if you have the gift of tongues, you should speak. To find your gifts you need to jump into the game.
4. YOUR GIFTS WILL BE SEEN BY OTHERS. The local church is like a mirror that reflects what we are made to be. What others thank you for, or encourage you in, or seek from you is often a sign of your gift in the Holy Spirit.
5.YOUR GIFTS BELONG TO THE CHURCH. Spiritual gifts are given to us, but they belong to others for the common good. That is why other can call upon us to serve. (See 1 Corinthians 12:7.)
6. YOU CAN ASK FOR MORE. We are to "eagerly desire the spiritual gifts" (see 1 Corinthians 14:1.) Think of a list of the Holy Spirit's gifts like an online shopping gallery of options. Which gifts do you desire? Ask the Father for them!
Here are the gifts of the Holy Spirit in the order that they appear in Romans 12:3-8, 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4:7-13, and 1 Peter 4:10,11.
Which gifts describe you best?
What gifts do others see in you?
What gifts do you desire?
PROPHECY: You sense messages from God that comfort, encourage and strengthen people.
HELPS: You love to help, nothing is too much to ask, and others seek you with their needs.
TEACHING: You learn from the Bible, you make concepts simple for hearers, and lives change because of what you teach.
ENCOURAGEMENT: The words you speak urge people into action.
GIVING: You love to give, you sense what others need, and God guides you in the right time to give.
ADMINISTRATION: Like the pilot of a ship, you can focus people and resources in such a way that the ministry is accomplished well.
MERCY: You feel the needs of others and you are moved to help them cheerfully.
WISDOM: You know just the right words to say, at just the right moment, to help others hear more from God.
KNOWLEDGE: You sense personal information about people that proves pivotal in helping them heal for the better.
FAITH: You believe God will do his will before others do and you hold on long after others have given up.
HEALING: You listen to people who are ill, you pray for them and you see God bring health to them.
MIRACLES: You pray for God to do powerful acts that seem to change the way nature usually works.
DISCERNMENT: You have a sense of what spirit moves a person, and if that is from God or not.
TONGUES: You are able to pray in another language you never were taught and afterward your love for God grows and surprising opportunities open.
INTERPRETATION: When someone shares a message in tongues publicly you have a sense of the message God is speaking.
APOSTOLIC: You have been used by God to start new churches, in new territory, in different cultures and to raise up pastors and direct those pastors.
EVANGELISM: You love people, you love the gospel, and there is never a time you feel uncomfortable to tell others about Jesus.
PASTOR: You nurture, guide and care for people so that they follow you and become more like Christ.
HOSPITALITY: You show your love for people by making them feel at home.
Father, I want to reveal Jesus better, and have more to give to others. I desire the spiritual gift of ____________________. Amen.
VERSE OF THE WEEK
"...Eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit." 1 Corinthians 14:1
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Watch this video of Pastor Phil McCallum teaching on the Spiritual Gifts.